The Chair inauguration ceremony took place on Sunday, 21/03/1431H (07/03/2010G) at the headquarters of the College of Architecture and Planning. The ceremony was attended by His Royal Highness Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, President of the General Authority for Tourism and Antiquities, His Excellency the University Rector, Professor Abdullah Al Othman, His Excellency the Dean of the College of Architecture and Planning, Prof. Abdulaziz bin Saad Al Miqrin and the Chair Supervisor, His Excellency Dr. Youssef Fadan and a large audience from among those who are interested in the field.
Within the framework of the cooperation agreement between the Heritage Foundation and King Saud University, and based on the mutual desire to carry out joint work for maintaining and promoting architectural heritage, His Royal Highness Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, president of the Heritage Foundation, signed a collaboration agreement on urban heritage with His Excellency, Prof. Abdullah bin Abderrahman Al Othman, King Saud University Rector. The Chair also signed a scientific research project under the rubric ‘Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz’s Urban Heritage Chair’, which is geared to carry out a number of academic and vocational achievements.
- Participate in the enrichment of scientific production at King Saud University and other universities in the areas of architectural heritage and development.
- Promoting awareness of the importance of architectural heritage and preservation thereof.
- Seeking to sustain the Saudi traditional architectural identity.
- Developing a sense of cultural distinction with respect to the Saudi Architectural Heritage and cherishing it.
- Fostering a generation of Saudi architects who are eager to preserve and develop local architecture.
- Making the Chair a source of reference for those seeking information and expertise on the issues of architectural heritage, its promotion and development.
Strengthening the position of architectural heritage in the community, thus helping to establish cultural and urban contact between the past, present and future.
- Achieving integration between the educational process and professional practice in the preservation of architectural heritage.
- Promoting the culture of caring and taking pride in urban heritage among students of architectural education programs throughout their various levels.
- The development of scientific and practical partnership between the King Saud University, represented in the College of Architecture and Planning, and other government bodies such as the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs and the General Authority for Tourism and Antiquities.
- Development of societal partnership with the University in order to promote the economic and social dimension of architectural heritage areas.
- Supporting the programs of partnership and cooperation between specialized research centers for the exchange of experiences and knowledge in the areas of architectural heritage.
- Establishing a database for the architectural and urban heritage areas in the Kingdom.
- Setting up a directory of specialized research centers in architectural heritage and updating it on an annual basis.
- Setting up a directory of experts and specialists in the preservation of architectural heritage and updating it on an annual basis.
- Releasing an annual directory on the priorities of research studies and programs on urban heritage and its preservation.
- Supporting the educational process in architectural education programs and cooperation in the development of academic courses at the undergraduate level focusing on maintenance and development of architectural heritage.